Thursday, January 1, 2009

I Finally Saw Milk

So I might be the last gay person to see the movie Milk, and I have to say that it exceeded my expectations. I was genuinely moved by Sean Penn's portrayal of Harvey Milk. There has already been so much said about how "timely" this movie is, so I won't repeat what is truly obvious. I will simply say that I DO have hope. Proposition 8 has brought the gay community together again. It has made people question whether to unquestioningly believe their religious leaders, or follow their conscience. Since prop 8's passage I've had straight people I barely know tell me that they thought that what happened was wrong. And it has made people think about what "equal rights" really means in a democratic society. We've come so far since the time of Harvey Milk and Briggs and Bryant, that this setback feels like it's going to precede a major push forward. I'm proud to be gay. I'm proud of my husband. I'm proud to be part of a community that has such a strong sense of justice.
Now I've thought quite a bit about what my real resolution should be for the New Year, and I've decided that I need to give back to the community that has given so much to me. I owe a debt of gratitude to all the gay folks who have fought before us. It's time to give back. That's my promise, and you (if anybody is reading this) can hold me to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment